Well here we are, it's 2013, and what do we have lined up for you at our first get-together of the year? After our usual WI meeting and shared lunch, we'll be dusting off our sewing machines and getting busy making cushion covers. You'll be able to make either a simple envelope-closure version, or try more advanced techniques to add more decoration to your cushion - so our workshop is suitable for anyone, from those who've never used a sewing machine before to those of you who've been there, done that and would like to do something that makes us all go "Wow!"
We really need to know who's coming, as we need to be prepared with materials and equipment, so it would be lovely if you could let us know if you'll be attending by either leaving a comment in response to this post, or by replying to one of Debbie's (our President) text or email reminders, if you've received those. The workshop will cost £5 for WI members (£8 for non-members), and here's the lowdown on what you need to know before the day...
1. You will need to bring your own fabric. We will be making a 50cm square cushion, so one cushion cover will require a 0.5 metre length of fabric. There will be a certain amount of fabric available for purchase on the day, but if you have very specific ideas about what you'd like to make it would be a good idea to choose your own fabric before the workshop.
2. Basic, inexpensive, cushion pads will be available to buy on the day. The cost will be £1.85, and if you'd like us to supply you with one of these, you must let us know by Wednesday 23rd January. If you'd prefer to buy your own cushion pad (if you'd like something a little plusher, or you always like to feel the quality before purchasing!) that's fine. Ikea, Dunelm Mill or the market are good places to look - just remember it will need to be 50cm square.
3. If you have a sewing machine of your own, please bring it along. There will be several machines available on the day, but the more the merrier really!
4. We will be supplying threads and other sewing equipment, but if you're already a stitcher and have your own kit it wont hurt to bring it along.
5. And finally, we'd just say have a think about what you'd like to do before the day. Get inspired, go hunting fabrics and trimmings in the shops, it's all part of the fun!
Just before I sign off, I'd also like to draw your attention to the new '2013 Events Calendar' that you'll see in the sidebar to the right of this post. Please click through and have a look at the fabulous programme of events we've already got lined up for this year - with more speakers and so on to be added! You can jot the dates in your diary now, and we'll be handing out a very useful purse-sized printed version in a forthcoming meeting, for all of our members to keep.
Hope to see you on Saturday 26th, and it would be fab if you could get in touch and let us know if you'd like to do the workshop.